Job Opening: SOAR VISTA
VISTA Position Description: The SOAR VISTA member will build capacity at SOAR by developing the plans to begin the Blueprint Action initiative. The VISTA will develop and implement the Blueprint initiative throughout communities in surrounding counties. The project will provide the groundwork for the communities to gain ownership in the Blueprint initiative. The VISTA will establish systems for each community, identify partnerships and ensure that each community have the needed resources to continue the initiative. This work will alleviate poverty by aligning the SOAR blueprint goals, which will create new economic opportunities for citizens in the Appalachian region.
- AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens,
- nationals, or lawful permanent residents age 18
- and older.
- Bachelor’s degree required (or a combination of skills and experience)
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills
- Flexible, independent, and self‐starter
- Computer competency
- Understanding of economic concepts
- Database management experience
- Web‐development experience
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite
VISTA Terms & Benefits:
- FULL‐TIME (40 hours/week), one‐year commitment.
- MONTHLY LIVING ALLOWANCE of $945 per month ($11,328/year) before taxes
- Upon completion, choose between EDUCATION AWARD ($5,920) OR CASH AWARD ($1,800).
- Forbearance/deferment of federal student loans payments.
- Eligible to receive HEALTHCARE ALLOWANCES
- VACATION (10) and SICK DAYS (10)
- May be eligible for RELOCATION REIMBURSEMENT (must be relocating 50 miles or more for service; $1,500 value)
- Access to additional PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT and training opportunities!
- Negotiable non‐cash benefits in the form of utilities, food, or housing provisions of at least $1,000
How to Apply:
Email resume to email@example.com for immediate consideration. Finalists may be brought in for an interview prior to completing an official application.
Additionally, all VISTAs must apply via the portal to be eligible. While SOAR conducts the interview and selects the candidates, your employment will be handled by the Americorps VISTA program. When the application period opens you can apply by going to http://kycompact.org/programs/vista/test-page/
About Shaping our Appalachian Region, INC. (SOAR)
SOAR is a network of our Appalachia that unites 54 counties worth of talent enabling us to shape our own future. So the question really is not what is Shaping our Appalachian Region, but who? SOAR’s mission is to expand job creation, enhance regional opportunity, innovation, and identity, improve the quality of life, and support all those working to achieve these goals in Appalachian Kentucky. An Appalachian Kentucky engaged in a landscape-changing enterprise: shaped by a shared and envisioned future, driven by innovation, entrepreneurship, and a commitment to common purpose, with improved education, health, and economic outcomes, and expanding opportunities, for all our region’s citizens. SOAR is a widely-shared enterprise. Our commitment to build greater prosperity, resilience, and equity in the region is posited upon a belief that support for, and strengthened partnerships among, those already working to achieve these goals is the wisest course. Our trust rests in the region’s greatest assets, upon which this future will be built: its people, places, and heritage, and in these mountains we call home.